If your iPad does not have the built-in 3G module, this article will be useful to you. We will tell you about the interaction of the Android smartphone with the tablet, namely about using the smartphone as a modem. Since the tethering from Android to iPad via Bluetooth is impossible due to technical features of Bluetooth in Apple products, we will show an alternative way of solving the problem.
Every user will agree that it is more comfortable to surf the global network from the tablet, than use the phone for this purpose. The tablet has the bigger display, therefore, the page will contain larger amount of information. In general, web surfing becomes as comfortable as on the computer. However, everything is well when you surf the internet at home on the couch and use your home based Wi-Fi. But what to do if you want to use the Internet, for example, in the country, where there is no wireless router and your iPad does not have a built-in 3G module? In this case, you can use your smartphone as a modem under the condition that the phone has the access to 2G, 3G or LTE.
To perform the Bluetooth tethering from Android to iPad, follow these steps:
Note: we used the Android smartphone with the 6.0.1 version of the OS, so do not worry if some names will be different in the 4.х version, – the whole logic of actions will be the same. Just keep this in mind.
- Open the menu and press «Settings».
- Click «More».
- In the window that opens, press «Tethering & Portable hotspot».
- To activate the tethering function, click «Bluetooth tethering».
Now, we completed setting our smartphone as the access point. If you want to connect to the phone’s Internet from the other Android tablet, pair both devices via Bluetooth.
Note: if the receiving device has the 4.4 version of the OS and below, then you will need to perform additional actions. In the Bluetooth settings, press the name of the device that will tether the Internet and check the box in front of the «Internet access». If the version is 5.0 – 6.0.2, you will not need to perform these actions, because everything is activated by default and there is no choice of alternative options.
However, you will not be able to connect the iPad via Bluetooth (at least by using a standard method). What functionality is absent in the firmware. You only can do it if your iPad is Jailbroken. If it is, perform the following steps:
- Install the Cydia.
- Purchase the iBluever program.
- Open this program.
- Set the slider to the «Enabled» mode.
- Choose the smartphone that will tether the Internet and click its name to open the settings.
- Enter any PIN code and remember it.
- APN – you will need to enter the access point, through which you will receive the Internet. For example, internet.mts.ru if your operator is MTS.
- Select the chat script. Use the exhaustive search method, since different scripts work in conjunction with different devices.
- Go to the previous menu.
- Click the smartphone’s name twice.
- On your phone, a pop-up window will appear. Enter the PIN code from the paragraph 5.1 and confirm it.
- Hide the iBluever on the tablet. On the notifications panel, you will see the icon that indicates the availability of the Internet.
If your tablet is not Jailbroken or this procedure seemed complicated for you, we can offer an alternative. There is a possibility to tether from the phone via Wi-Fi.
The suggested option has no difficulties and it has a much greater bandwidth than the Bluetooth. The tablet will see your phone as a regular router, and there will be not difficult to connect to it. Even if there were no problems to use the Bluetooth tethering, it would be more rationally to use the Wi-Fi for this purpose.
To activate the access point mode on Android, repeat the abovementioned steps from the 1st to the 3rd.
- Click «Set up Wi-Fi hotspot» to specify the password (if necessary) and to set the name of the network.
- In the new window, under the «Network name», enter the name of the access point. In the «Password», specify the password, so that no one else can use your traffic. After these actions, press «Save».
- To activate the modem mode, activate the switch near «Portable Wi-Fi hotspot».
The setting on the phone is now completed. To connect to the Internet from the tablet, scan the Wi-Fi networks and find the name you specified. Connect to it as you normally do.
Note: while tethering, your smartphone’s battery will discharge more quickly, than usually. In addition, it will get slightly warm. This is due to actively working communication modules. Therefore, place priorities if you are away from home. You need to decide, what is more important – comfortable surfing or the battery life of the phone.
After these steps, the tablet will connect to the Internet tethered by the phone.
We hope that our article will be useful to you. Enjoy your surfing on the pages of the global network.