In this topic, we will analyze the situation when you need to connect Android to the TV via Wі-Fi. We will show you how to play multimedia files on your TV, as well as how to transfer the image onto the screen of your TV.
Let’s just decide, what do we need to have to connect your Android phone to the TV via Wi-Fі?
- First of all, you will need a TV with the SmartTV function; we will use the Samsung TV as an example. This function is also supported by more expensive LG and Sony models.
- The TV does not have to possess the Wi-Fi module. It will be enough if the TV has the Ethernet connector: in this case, the network connection will be carried out using the cable and through a router.
- An internet connection must be configured in the Smart TV, according to the instructions for your model.
- Both devices (phone and TV) must be connected to the same network (to the same router), whether through wire or via Wі-Fі.
Playing a video from your phone on the TV screen
Once both devices are configured, we’ll show you how to connect Android to TV via Wi-Fi in several ways.
Using the standard player
It is very simple to make the connection itself, because everything is done automatically. The other question is how to play multimedia content at home on the big screen.
This can be done by using the standard player. All well-known vendors began adding the streaming video function in standard players. In our example, we will play video from the LG phone. To do this:
- Open the menu of the phone.
- Select the “Video” icon.
- Select the video you want to watch, after that the playback will start.
- Click on the “Streaming”. In our model it is located at the top right corner.
- In the window that opens, you will see all the available devices. You will need to click on the name of the TV which you want to start playback on.
- Then you will see the request to confirm the playback on your TV, no matter what mode it is in (the main thing that it is turned on). Confirm your agreement using thee remote control and the video will start to play.
Note: Video Control (volume, rewinding, changing the video) is performed on the phone through the video player.
Using the YouTube
Popular YouTube app supports streaming to other devices. To do this, you need to:
- Launch YouTube.
- Choose a video to view and start it.
- Click the “Remote playback” (top right) to open the list of available TVs.
- Click on your TV to start playing a video on the big screen.
Note: The Smart TV should have the YouTube widget, because the video will be showing through it.
Androіd as media server
In this part, we will tell you about the Wi-Fi dіrect in Android for Smart TV. In other words, we will explain how to make the Android media server for your TV. In this case, all the multimedia files lying on the phone will be available for playback through the TV menu. That is, all the control will be carried out in the TV, and the phone performs as a server. To make such a connection, follow these steps.
- Go to the Androіd settings.
- Select “General access and connection”.
- Tap the “Media Server”.
- Tick the “Content access mode”– the device will detect all the available devices that are in the network with you.
- Grant or deny access to each found device in corresponding windows.
- After that, click “Mode change” on the TV and select the name of your phone to open a menu with content.
- Manage content in accordance to the instructions of your TV model.
TV as a monitor of the phone
This function is called Miracast and it can be very useful, because the display shows exactly the same picture as you have, for example, on your smartphone. No matter if you are playing games or just surf the Internet; everything will be exactly displayed on the screen of Smart TV. The only drawback of this technology is a significant delay in the picture, about 1 second. It does not cause any inconvenience if you are watching the video or work with the text. But if you are playing video games, especially those where the reaction is required, it is practically impossible. But still there is the possibility, and if you want to connect in this way, do the following:
- Go to the Аndroid settings.
- Open the “General access and connection”.
- Click the Miracast line to open the window with the search of supported devices and turn on the switch.
- Click on the name of your TV.
- Confirm the agreement for connection by the remote control on the TV to start showing your phone’s display.